With war drums beating louder than ever, the economy in a shambles, smoking about to be banned through all of the city, this item actually made the NYTimes today:
Two 17-year-old boys, apparently following instructions penned by Abbie Hoffman, caused a flash fire in a Brooklyn apartment yesterday afternoon while trying to make a smoke bomb on the stove, the police said. One of the teenagers received second-degree burns to the upper torso.
Very little property damage. No other injury. One of the kids goes to LaGuardia High, a good school. The other — the one who was burned — goes to Bronx Science, a very good school. The apartment is on a good block in a good neighborhood, Park Slope. The street was crowded because of a St. Patrick’s Day parade, but there was no apparent connection.
Without the oh-so-tenuous Abbie Hoffman link, seems to me that this doesn’t even make the local giveaway weeklies. At least the kids didn’t get the recipie off the internet….