The excellent Southern Living magazine has had to recall its April issue because following one of the recipies could apparently cause burns.
In a recipie for icebox rolls, readers were instructed to boil a cup and a half of shortening in water for five minutes. You may have heard that oil and water don’t mix all that well; four readers were burned by spattering fat.
The publishers pulled the issue — a difficult and expensive thing to do — and mailed a postcard with a corrected recipie to all subscribers.
I would imagine that there’s an opening for a test kitchen editor in Alabama right about now… (And as of this writing, there’s sho’nuff just such a job posted.)